NFA violations: how, by whom, often are they enforced?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

NFA violations: how, by whom, often are they enforced?

Postby CCIman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:09 pm

I have a SBR tax stamp for a AK rifle with a 14" barrel before the muzzle device.

I am wondering who checks to make sure my weapons have met the proper requirements? Is enforcement done when other laws are broken?

How often are people checked? Who has ever been asked to produce a tax stamp?

Who knows of people actually charged for NFA violations without other charge?
'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.
User avatar
CCIman
 
Posts: 1817
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:12 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: NFA violations: how, by whom, often are they enforced?

Postby rimfireOH » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:10 pm

I've had various stamps (suppressors and SBR) for a few years now and have only ever been asked when at a range (three different ranges) if I had the stamped form(s) on my person, but never have been asked to produce it/them.

I've never yet been involved with in an LEO-situation and hope to keep it that way. I don't think I'd mind showing it upon request.

Every member of the trust has copies and there are copies in my cars, my range bags, my safes and my hunting bag. I don't want to get caught without them, that's for sure.
User avatar
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:49 am
Location: NE Ohio

Re: NFA violations: how, by whom, often are they enforced?

Postby ArmedAviator » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:43 pm

AFAIK, only an ATF agent can require the NFA paperwork. However ORC defines most (all?) items covered by NFA as "Dangerous Ordinance" if I remember correctly, but excluding those with the NFA paperwork. So conceivably, you will be required to pay the paperwork to any Ohio LEO. Is it required on the spot? I don't know, but I carry opies in my range bags.

FWIW, if anyone at a range asked me for paperwork, I'd ask to see their ATF ID (unless other LEO uniform). Anyone else can pound sand as I go about my legal business.
Peace through superior firepower
User avatar
ArmedAviator
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:59 pm
Location: 45426

Re: NFA violations: how, by whom, often are they enforced?

Postby rouger10 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:58 am

rimfireOH wrote:I've had various stamps (suppressors and SBR) for a few years now and have only ever been asked when at a range (three different ranges) if I had the stamped form(s) on my person, but never have been asked to produce it/them.

I've never yet been involved with in an LEO-situation and hope to keep it that way. I don't think I'd mind showing it upon request.

Every member of the trust has copies and there are copies in my cars, my range bags, my safes and my hunting bag. I don't want to get caught without them, that's for sure.


Might be a good Idea to take a picture of that paperwork with your phone as another layer of security. Or store a PDF version on your phone.
Just a thought.


Roger
rouger10
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Brecksville

Re: NFA violations: how, by whom, often are they enforced?

Postby scottb » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:37 am

rouger10 wrote:Might be a good Idea to take a picture of that paperwork with your phone as another layer of security. Or store a PDF version on your phone.
Just a thought.
Roger


I do this with my passport, drivers license and credit cards. This gives me peace of mind when I am overseas. I keep them in an app called Photo Vault, which requires a PIN to access.
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
User avatar
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:42 pm
Location: Wooster

Re: NFA violations: how, by whom, often are they enforced?

Postby M-Quigley » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:54 pm

When someone I know who has a full auto firearm was firing it on his own property, and a sheriffs deputy came out on investigation of a noise complaint, the deputy casually asked if he had the proper paperwork for it. He showed him a xerox copy of the original paperwork that was in the case. The original paperwork was in the owners house. The deputy glanced over it and handed it back. The owner said he would quit the shooting session that day, and the deputy appreciated it. :roll: The new neighbors that made the noise complaint were shocked to discover that you could legally shoot guns on your own property out in the country, even including machine guns! :shock: They moved away not to long after that. :o
M-Quigley
 
Posts: 2040
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:06 pm
Location: Western Ohio

Re: NFA violations: how, by whom, often are they enforced?

Postby TSiWRX » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:31 pm

^ I'd have driven around until I found that neighbor that was going full-happy and tried to bribe my way into friendship sufficient to gain me some trigger time with said gun. :lol:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
User avatar
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 6359
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:33 pm
Location: Cleveland/Shaker Heights

Re: NFA violations: how, by whom, often are they enforced?

Postby rimfireOH » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:25 am

Quick cross-post about the HPA and possibly having suppressors removed from NFA list. Please consider calling your Representative and asking them for their vote on the SHARE bill.
User avatar
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:49 am
Location: NE Ohio

Re: NFA violations: how, by whom, often are they enforced?

Postby rouger10 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:24 am

scottb wrote:
rouger10 wrote:Might be a good Idea to take a picture of that paperwork with your phone as another layer of security. Or store a PDF version on your phone.
Just a thought.
Roger


I do this with my passport, drivers license and credit cards. This gives me peace of mind when I am overseas. I keep them in an app called Photo Vault, which requires a PIN to access.


Good call !!! I'll look into that. Thanks
rouger10
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Brecksville


Return to National Firearm Politics & Legislation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests