A sensible gun law

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

A sensible gun law

Postby NavyChief » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:47 am

I posted this on another forum I frequent. Another poster had made the following statement:
Now that we will have a new voice on the court (baring tax problems) maybe a sensible gun law can make it through the legislative branch.
Despite repeated challenges, he never would put forth an example of what he felt constituted a "sensible gun law," so I decided to propose one...

Be it enacted, immediately upon the President's signature, all previously enacted federal gun laws are null and void. Be it further enacted that all agents in the employ of the Bureau of Alchohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (henceforth referred to simply as ATF) in a firearms enforcement role shall be offered positions within the expanded Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) under the supervision of the Director for Civilian Marksmanship (DCM).

Inasmuch as violent crime and the threat of terrorism are – and will remain – a clear and present danger in our world, the following sensible gun laws will be henceforth be enacted and enforced:

1. Every able-bodied person, having reached the age of majority, shall have readily available both a long arm (i.e., rifle or shotgun) and a sidearm (i.e., pistol or revolver) and a minimum of fifty (50) rounds of ammunition for each. (With parental/guardian permission, the age of majority requirement may be waived. Further, those who wish may claim Conscientious Objector (CO) status to be waived from the requirement altogether.) A familiarization-fire course shall be completed by each person at least annually under the auspices of the DCM.

2. The Secretary of Defense (SecDef) shall make available to the DCM a complete inventory of all small arms available in the Department of Defense (DoD) that are not currently required for use within the DoD. Any small arms the DCM deems appropriate shall be transferred to the CMP for sale to United States citizens desiring to comply with paragraph 1 above.

3. All state and local firearms laws are considered to be null and void as they are superseded by both the Second Amendment to the Constitution and the right to self-defense which even predates our Constitution. By extension, all Concealed Weapon/Handgun Licenses are rendered moot – citizens are expected and encouraged to carry weapons/firearms.

4. The DCM, with the aid of the newly transferred former ATF agents shall develop and administer a suitable firearms safety and marksmanship training program for implementation in all schools, grades K-12.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
NavyChief
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: A sensible gun law

Postby true_pair » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:53 am

Liberal translation of sensible gun laws is gun control. I remember when AWB was being passed; this phrased was used quite frequently
"The great object is, that every man be armed"

-- Patrick Henry, speech of June 14 1788
true_pair

Postby Cozza » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:55 am

Best law I've ever read! :D
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
http://appleseedinfo.org/
Cozza

Postby jeep45238 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:59 am

I'd vote for it to pass :D
USAF E5 ~ Never settle for the ordinary.

Rights cease to exist when restrictions are put on them.
jeep45238

Postby GrayRider » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:05 am

I'm stealin' it for my motorcycle site. Good job.
Last edited by GrayRider on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Congress, it's like the 3 Stooges only there's 535 of 'em..
GrayRider

Postby true_pair » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:06 am

+1
"The great object is, that every man be armed"

-- Patrick Henry, speech of June 14 1788
true_pair

Postby johnsoax » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:09 am

Lets get a congressman to submit that :).

Best Law ever.
Alex Johnson
Springfield XD-9 Service Model
Blackhawk Serpa Outside waistband
Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC Inside waistband

Freedom is messy. Freedom is unruly, Freedom always has people who make mistakes as well as people who make wise choices. Freedom is an imperfect society, but I'll take freedom instead of tyrants every day of the week. - BobK
johnsoax

Postby ArcherAce » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:19 am

NC for president in 2012!
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
ArcherAce

Postby johnsoax » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:07 am

I posted your "sensible law" on my blog. blog.johnsoax.com/
Alex Johnson
Springfield XD-9 Service Model
Blackhawk Serpa Outside waistband
Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC Inside waistband

Freedom is messy. Freedom is unruly, Freedom always has people who make mistakes as well as people who make wise choices. Freedom is an imperfect society, but I'll take freedom instead of tyrants every day of the week. - BobK
johnsoax

Postby NavyChief » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:34 pm

Oh, and the original poster did finally reply...

Just kidding. It was a slow morning and I needed a good laugh. I really don’t care one way or the other about what the gun manufacturers are up to. I had hoped against all expectations that some original replies would ensue. Alas!.

Of course, he never did put forth any ideas of his own...
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
NavyChief
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Postby tjeffries » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:46 pm

Sounds pretty sensible to me, write it up chief :wink:
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive?"-- Alexander Solzhenitzyn, Gulag Archipelago

To paraphrase George Santayana, those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

http://www.barefootsworld.net/tripwire.html
tjeffries

Postby ParaC7 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:19 am

Its got my vote!!
Gun Control means using both hands and hitting your target.

You want my guns Hillary???? SURE you can have them..................Bullets First!!!

Charlton Heston always was and always will be MY President!!!!
ParaC7

Postby Glenn » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:52 am

ParaC7 wrote:Its got my vote!!

I'll second that, All in favor, ?
Guns have only two enemies, rust & LIBERALS

U.S.Army Veteran, NRA Life, OFCC, Buckeye Firearms.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
************NOBAMA ***************
Glenn

Postby farblue » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:19 pm

Glenn wrote:
ParaC7 wrote:Its got my vote!!

I'll second that, All in favor, ?

"AYE".
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
Robert A. Heinlein
farblue

Return to Jeff Kirchner's Korner