NRA filing lawsuit, claims in financial trouble

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Re: NRA filing lawsuit, claims in financial trouble

Postby bignflnut » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:10 am

Bruenor wrote:
bignflnut wrote: The NRA is doing what it does best, whip up a crisis and fund-raise off of same.

I don't think being hit for 8.3 Million dollars in fines by a state regulatory agency, and losing your primary insurance underwriter, is whipping up an imaginary crisis.

I didn't say it was imaginary.
I said they were whipping it up, like they're on an island and just can't get anyone to do business with them.
If Chubb or Lockton want to fight the fines, they can. Realizing it's an uphill slog against an entity with bottomless resources is understood. The NRA can't challenge the fines for Chubb or Lockton...

Tactically, the NRA should shut something down, just to cry poor even louder. Perhaps they will. I've just lost any goodwill for them when they hold themselves out to be stalwarts in our camp.
“A free people claim their rights, as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.”
-Thomas Jefferson, 1774

Tweed Ring: "...we should have all done more to elected Republicans..." Agreed
bignflnut

Postby catfish86 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:06 pm

They will not be able to find anyone else. When the government regulators step in, nobody will touch them with a ten foot pole.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Postby bignflnut » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:07 am

New York’s lawyers argue that the state’s letters represent nothing more than government speech. The NRA and the state are engaged in nothing more than a frank exchange of ideas. But while the government does have broad power to engage in its own advocacy, that power has its limits. As the Second Circuit has recognized, there is a difference between “permissible expressions of personal opinion and implied threats to employ coercive State power to stifle protected speech.” When “comments of a government official can reasonably be interpreted as intimating that some form of punishment or adverse regulatory action will follow the failure to accede to the official’s request,” a First Amendment claim exists.

It simply strains credulity to argue that a financial regulator’s letter to the financial institutions it closely regulates urging those institutions to consider “risk management” when dealing with the NRA is nothing more than robust debate. Indeed, the letter at issue is explicitly phrased as offering regulatory “guidance.” The NRA also claims this “guidance” — combined with other state actions — is making corporations fear reprisals if they continue to do business with the NRA.
“A free people claim their rights, as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.”
-Thomas Jefferson, 1774

bignflnut

Postby bignflnut » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:10 pm

As the poor mouth crying continues, it is instructive to remember the NRA's posture after the 2016 elections.

'Our moment to go on offense': NRA makes big plans for Trump presidency

With Republicans poised to control the White House and Congress, the National Rifle Association sees chance to attack gun laws at the state and federal levels

SNIP

LaPierre pledged to go after the “tyrannical erosion of gun rights” in the relatively small number of states with very strict gun control laws, such as New York and California. He assailed their “deceitful web of gun bans, ammo bans, magazine bans, exorbitant fees, and taxes and registration schemes”.

The NRA’s priority is a federal law that would make gun-carrying permits issued in one state valid across the country, which would make carrying a concealed firearm across the country as easy as driving your car across state lines.

SNIP

Another high priority for the NRA is to end “the absolute fallacy of gun-free zones”, LaPierre said in his address. “Not one more American serviceman or woman should be murdered on a military base because the government denied their right to defend themselves with a firearm.”

-Thomas Jefferson, 1774

bignflnut

Postby deanimator » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:25 pm

I wonder what would happen if the State of Mississippi intimidated financial institutions into not doing business with the NAACP...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
deanimator

Postby catfish86 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:45 pm

I should be able to say I am surprised the ACLU is not stepping in to support the NRA on this. This is clearly government trampling on civil liberties.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Postby Bruenor » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:25 pm

catfish86 wrote:I should be able to say I am surprised the ACLU is not stepping in to support the NRA on this. This is clearly government trampling on civil liberties.

But the ACLU counts to 10 as follows.. 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,8, 9, 10

I think I've seen them on the side of a firearms related issue about one time, within the last 15 years.. if it happened more than that i didn't see it.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine
Bruenor

Previous

Return to In The News