OFCC Joins SCCC Lawsuit Against The Ohio State University

Ohio Law for purchasing handguns and ammo online?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Ohio Law for purchasing handguns and ammo online?

Postby usap » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:58 am

I was thinking about purchasing a new 9mm Glock and 9mm ammo from a website that shows an address in Wisconsin, but it's bylaws state that it follows Arizona state law. Would this online purchase be legal from Ohio?

I saw a synopsis of Ohio firearms law from the NRA (Sept 20007) that implies firearms purchases are restricted to states that are adjacent to Ohio (and it does not address handgun purchases). It states, "Any adult resident of Ohio, not prohibited from acquiring firearms, may purchase a rifle, shotgun or ammunition in IN, KY, MI, PA, or WV".

Does this mean an Ohioan cannot purchase ammo when walking into a store in other states than those listed?
What about online purchases? Does the website have to be registered in one of the named adjacent states?
What about handgun purchases, which were not addressed in the NRA purchasing statement above? Are handgun purchases restricted to stores and websites located in Ohio?

Thank you for any feedback.
usap

Re: Ohio Law for purchasing handguns and ammo online?

Postby Daniel » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:08 pm

IIRC, handguns must be purchased in your home state, long guns in your home state or an adjacent state. However, there is a way around it. You can buy the gun, have it shipped to an Ohio FFL, and then they do the background check and complete the transfer to you.

No restriction on ammunition sales that I am aware of.
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Postby SMMAssociates » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:16 pm

usap:

You can buy ammunition from anybody who will ship it to you. There are some cities that may have ordinances that the sellers believe forbid it (same issue with normal-capacity magazines), but that's the worst of it. (IMHO, those ordinances are elsewhere pre-empted, but....)

You can also buy a handgun from anybody who will ship it to you.

HOWEVER, the seller must either be a FFL, or work with one, to ship the gun to you, and you must be an FFL or work with one, to receive it.

The online dealer should be able to give you full details. It'll cost you $30-$80 to ship the gun, and you may need to pay the FFL's involved another $30 or so, apiece. (Prices quoted usually don't include any of this - get an estimate!)

Most dealers will receive a gun for you, for a small fee.... My guy will usually tell me how much it costs to keep the doors open, how his children are starving, and that I should buy this one that he just happens to have in stock at a similar price, but he'll still go along if pressed. (He buys a lot of stuff on the web himself!)

My choice is to buy 'em FTF from other OH guys, or from a dealer that's been in business for a while. But YMMV. I was going to say "stable dealer", but then I thought about the dealer I usually work with :D....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
SMMAssociates

Postby jabeatty » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:18 pm

usap wrote:I was thinking about purchasing a new 9mm Glock and 9mm ammo from a website that shows an address in Wisconsin, but it's bylaws state that it follows Arizona state law. Would this online purchase be legal from Ohio?

See below.

usap wrote:I saw a synopsis of Ohio firearms law from the NRA (Sept 20007) that implies firearms purchases are restricted to states that are adjacent to Ohio (and it does not address handgun purchases). It states, "Any adult resident of Ohio, not prohibited from acquiring firearms, may purchase a rifle, shotgun or ammunition in IN, KY, MI, PA, or WV".

ORC 2923.22 merely mirrored the federal provisions that were in place at the time it was implemented (1974). You'll note the permissive (not prohibitive) nature of the statute:

(A) Any resident of Ohio age eighteen or over, and not prohibited by section 2923.13 or 2923.15 of the Revised Code or any applicable law of another state or the United States from acquiring or using firearms, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun, or ammunition therefor in Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania, or West Virginia.

(B) Any resident of Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania, or West Virginia, age eighteen or over, and not prohibited by section 2923.13 or 2923.15 of the Revised Code or the laws of his domicile or the United States from acquiring or using firearms, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun, or ammunition therefor in Ohio.

(C) Any purchase and sale pursuant to this section shall be for such purposes and under such circumstances and upon such conditions as are prescribed by the “Gun Control Act of 1968,” 82 Stat. 1213, 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3), and any amendments or additions thereto or reenactments thereof.

The GCA has since been modified to allow in-person purchases of long arms (rifles & shotguns) from any state. There's nothing in Ohio law the prohibits the purchase of a long arm from other than a contiguous state. 2923.22 is essentially excess baggage at this point.

usap wrote:Does this mean an Ohioan cannot purchase ammo when walking into a store in other states than those listed?

You may purchase ammo in any state as long as that state's laws allow it.

usap wrote:What about online purchases? Does the website have to be registered in one of the named adjacent states?

No. You may purchase ammunition from any online vendor that will sell it to you, provided that vendor is shipping the ammo to you from somewhere inside the US.

usap wrote:What about handgun purchases, which were not addressed in the NRA purchasing statement above? Are handgun purchases restricted to stores and websites located in Ohio?

Yes (with a caveat). All handgun transfers between unlicensed individuals must take place on an intrastate basis; you simply cannot (legally) stroll into Michigan and buy a handgun from your best friend (unless he's a federal licensee).

If you buy a handgun in another state, it must be transferred to you through a licensee in Ohio (licensee = holder of Federal Firearms License = FFL). This is relatively easy to do, especially if you're buying from a reputable dealer or from an individual that has done this more than once.

Where (general info is fine) are you located? If you'll post your location, someone can probably suggest a local dealer who could facilitate the inbound transfer of a handgun for you.

Btw, is the WI dealer one of the TSG (TopGlock, etc.) outfits?
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
jabeatty

Postby jabeatty » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:20 pm

SMMAssociates wrote:HOWEVER, the seller must either be a FFL, or work with one, to ship the gun to you

This is not a legal requirement. Some FFLs won't accept a transfer from an unlicensed individual, but they have no legal basis for doing so, nor are their reasons particularly compelling.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
jabeatty

Postby usap » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:30 pm

Thanks to all for such a quick response. This explains why the websites will only ship to FFL. Yes, one website I was considering in the Top-Glock, All-Glock family of sites.

Re. ammo, some sites will not ship to Ohio, while others have advised to check Ohio law before ordering ammo online. I checked and the only restrictions I could find were the limitations on magazine rounds in the larger cities in Ohio. That would explain a reluctance to sell hi-cap magazines to Ohio, but doesn't explain any concerns on ammo sales to Ohio. Is anybody aware of ammo restrictions that the sites would be concerned about?

I am in Franklin county, but outside of Columbus city limits.
usap

Postby jabeatty » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:35 pm

usap wrote:Thanks to all for such a quick response. This explains why the websites will only ship to FFL. Yes, one website I was considering in the Top-Glock, All-Glock family of sites.

Re. ammo, some sites will not ship to Ohio, while others have advised to check Ohio law before ordering ammo online. I checked and the only restrictions I could find were the limitations on magazine rounds in the larger cities in Ohio. That would explain a reluctance to sell hi-cap magazines to Ohio, but doesn't explain any concerns on ammo sales to Ohio. Is anybody aware of ammo restrictions that the sites would be concerned about?

I am in Franklin county, but outside of Columbus city limits.

Just a quick follow-up - you might be able to come really close to that TopGlock price at Vance's (I'm assuming you're looking at a Glock of some sort), especially when you figure shipping and transfer fees into the equation.

What vendor is limiting ammo sales to Ohio?
--
jabeatty

Postby Cruiser » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:55 pm

Why it is helpful to have a general location in your Profile! We could point out good local dealer for you.
Welcome :)
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Postby usap » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:16 pm

online price for a Glock 26 is $449 with $15 shipping. Local prices are over $500. Vance's is located in a very scary part of town. I accidentally took a wrong turn about 10 years ago and found myself driving in that section at dusk ... I thought I was in an episode of the Twilight Zone and had been transported to another planet. People were out on the streets with complete disregard for civil laws. I saw cars driving the wrong way against traffic, driving over the curb and onto the sidewalk to chat with others, hookers in leopard skin outfits walking over and leaning into cars waiting at intersections, people walking down the sidewalk with open containers of Colt 45 in plain view. Holy Cow, I had NO IDEA that this world existed in conservative Columbus, Ohio. I obviously didn't fit in and one guy drove his car right up next to mine (within inches) and gave me a vicious look that said "get outta here!". I never went back to that area of Cleveland Ave. I'll bet Vance's Gun Store must be barricaded like a fortress to survive down there.

Sorry about the address. I just joined today and don't remember being asked about an address. Maybe there is a profile update that I can do. I am outside of New Albany where there is a shooting range, but their gun prices are extremely high. I'll ask them how close they can get. I would prefer to support local businesses, but donating an extra $80 to $100 is too high for my budget. They will get my money via range fees.
usap

Postby Morne » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:25 pm

WELCOME!!!
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Morne
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Postby Oldsarge » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:41 pm

Welcome! I had to laugh a little at your description of the area around Vances, there are other areas of Kolumbus that are far worse. I have been going to Vances for over 20 years without nary a problem with the "locals" around there, course I normally go there during daylight hours, and am always armed. :P It still may be worth the trip as Vances usually has excellent prices.
Semper Fi! Jim

"America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
- Abraham Lincoln

OFCC
NRA
Oldsarge

Postby BobK » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:29 pm

usap wrote:Vance's is located in a very scary part of town. . . I never went back to that area of Cleveland Ave. I'll bet Vance's Gun Store must be barricaded like a fortress to survive down there.

If you are in New Albany, then Vance's is a different planet.

Buckeye Outdoors, one mile off I-70 at the OH-79 exit in Heath, is another Vance store in a stable and friendly area. If you are wanting to look at firearms, it is worth the 25 mile drive.

I was in there yesterday on the way home from deer hunting and was shocked at some of the gun prices since the election, however.
NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Assoc Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition member, OFCC Patron Member, JFPO member.

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Prepare for civil breakdown.
BobK
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Postby McM » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:35 pm

That $449 + $15 ship + $15-40 transfer is getting harder to come by, especially for certain models & features. People still balk at paying $450 for a used one, and that doesn't even factor in the lack of paperwork and sales tax.
Not one of the " 'more-equal animals' ".

Hippies make me laugh. Bleeding hippies make me laugh REALLY HARD! -Morne
McM

Postby evan price » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:06 am

usap wrote: Vance's is located in a very scary part of town. I accidentally took a wrong turn about 10 years ago and found myself driving in that section at dusk ... I thought I was in an episode of the Twilight Zone and had been transported to another planet. People were out on the streets with complete disregard for civil laws. I saw cars driving the wrong way against traffic, driving over the curb and onto the sidewalk to chat with others, hookers in leopard skin outfits walking over and leaning into cars waiting at intersections, people walking down the sidewalk with open containers of Colt 45 in plain view. Holy Cow, I had NO IDEA that this world existed in conservative Columbus, Ohio. I obviously didn't fit in and one guy drove his car right up next to mine (within inches) and gave me a vicious look that said "get outta here!". I never went back to that area of Cleveland Ave. I'll bet Vance's Gun Store must be barricaded like a fortress to survive down there.

Wow, if you feel this way about Cleveland & Cooke Rd, ever get down by Cleveland & 22nd? How would you look at Parsons & Whittier, or Mound & Central? :lol: :lol: :lol:
19. The world is richer when you turn enemies into friends, but that's not the same as you being richer.
--The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Postby usap » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:56 pm

Now that I have thought about it more, I was actually driving south on Westerville Rd (near where it merges with Cleveland Ave.), so maybe I wasn't so close to Vance's after all. It might have been an unusual situation because it was the first warm night of spring ... so everybody was out on the streets. It was a crazy scene, especially when the dude drove across 3 lanes of traffic in the wrong direction and then drove over the curb and parked on the sidewalk to chat with some homies. He weaved his way thru a lot of cars, but nobody honked at him. I guess it's an area where you learn not to honk your horn at anybody (just keep your mouth shut and your head on a swivel). Nobody seemed to think anything was strange with the hookers at street lights and open bottles of Colt 45 in plain view while walking. The side streets must really be a circus. Our version of New Orleans.
usap

Next

Return to Ohio Firearm Politics & Legislation