.500 S&W Magnum Chrony Data

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Re: .500 S&W Magnum Chrony Data

Postby Morne » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:30 pm

Sevens wrote:I think we discussed powder coated cast bullets in another of your threads. Since that time I have had the chance to work up a load and even chrono it in .357 Magnum through my Ruger 77/357 bolt action rifle. Using a 180-grain powder coated slug, I can send them over 1,500 fps consistently (18-inch barrel) and this without a trace of ANYTHING left in my bore.

Very, very happy with these, and I had to comment because your post made it seem as though powder coated slugs may not be good for velocity-- I can say that in my application (obviously different than yours), they seem to LOVE the speed! 8)

Funny you should mention - I've been playing with .357 Mag powder coated bullets for high speed applications as well. I don't have my data in front of me but the short version is that the 130-gr coated RNFPs can motor along quite fast from .357 Mag guns. The 20" barreled lever action rifle gets them really hopping along.

All of which is new territory for me, because before this I saw powder coated as strictly something cheap/clean to use for low-velocity practice ammo. I have rolled many hundreds of .38 Spl, .44 Spl, and .45 ACP with coated bullets for practice rounds and been quite pleased. I'm sure I'll continue to do so, too. I still like my plated rounds, of course, but coated sure is nice. The trial boss loads described in this thread are essentially ".500 Specials" loaded in magnum cases. As we've frequently discussed, when shooting for low-speed/low-recoil you might worry a bit with plated/jacketed bullets. Not so with bare lead (which I don't like to use) or coated (which I am really starting to like).

I also have some .300 Blackout rounds made with 158-gr coated RNFPs that I will chrono here soon. :idea:
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Morne
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Postby Sevens » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:10 pm

I would otherwise be concerned about lead or coating stripping off or ending up plugging a gas port, but I'm sure there are folks who know how to handle that scenario (I'm not doing much with gas-op guns).

The 77/357 had developed a reputation for preferring heavier bullets over lighter ones (with regards to accuracy) so I just jumped ahead in the game and began my adventure with 180's. So far, they're fantastic! And they make a metal plate swing nicely and CLANG loudly.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Postby willbird » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:57 am

Sevens wrote:I would otherwise be concerned about lead or coating stripping off or ending up plugging a gas port, but I'm sure there are folks who know how to handle that scenario (I'm not doing much with gas-op guns).

The 77/357 had developed a reputation for preferring heavier bullets over lighter ones (with regards to accuracy) so I just jumped ahead in the game and began my adventure with 180's. So far, they're fantastic! And they make a metal plate swing nicely and CLANG loudly.

Not a super big deal on and AR.....one would just replace the gas tube, maybe gas block and worst case the bolt/carrier.

SOME gun designs like the Desert Eagles there are less accessible internal passages that get blocked with lead.

One can capture and examine the fired bullets with coatings and maybe see if any bare metal is exposed. But I seem to recall folks even seeing some issues with Berrys bullets which have a very thin copper plating ??
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Postby Morne » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:39 am

***CHRONY DATA***

.500 S&W Magnum 335-gr CPHP, WLR, Ramshot Enforcer Powder, 2.084-2.096" COAL
S&W 500 with 6.5" barrel
38.3-gr powder - AVERAGE = 1270 fps - ES = 204
40.0-gr powder - AVERAGE = 1344 fps - ES = 142
41.5-gr powder - AVERAGE = 1312 fps - ES = 176
43.0-gr powder - AVERAGE = 1406 fps - ES = 104
44.5-gr powder - AVERAGE = 1420 fps - ES = 210

So...I'm rather disappointed with Ramshot Enforcer as a potential replacement for Lil' Gun with full house loads. Granted, this is the first time I've run these plated bullets to these kind of velocities but still - I expected much tighter ES. I suppose I should be happy that they at least went fast? The load data, which uses an 8.37" barrel, still calls for a lot more speed.

I actually have a 45.0-gr version of this already made up and ready to test but looking at the above I have doubts about it impressing me.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Morne
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Postby Sevens » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:16 am

Well, I agree that the results aren't showing consistency but unless/until I'd used Enforcer with some higher quality slugs, I wouldn't be quick to blame the powder.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Postby Morne » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:18 pm

Sevens wrote:Well, I agree that the results aren't showing consistency but unless/until I'd used Enforcer with some higher quality slugs, I wouldn't be quick to blame the powder.

I suppose so.

I had good success with a Ramshot Enforcer load for .44 Mag using coated bullets (nice tight ES).

My experiment with Ramshot Enforcer in .357 Mag used X-Treme CPHP and while the speed was good the ES was again loose like here with the .500 (.500 used Rainier). I have another .357 Mag recipe already to go using a heavier weight slug from X-Treme (158 vs 125 grain) so we'll see if that helps or not.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Morne
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Previous

Return to Handloading