Cleveland Gun "Buy Back" This Weekend - Details Here

School Safety Zone

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

School Safety Zone

Postby ARMYADS » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:59 pm

Can someone clairfy school safety zone for me. Is it the areas between the blinking lights when driving by the school :?:
ARMYADS

Re: School Safety Zone

Postby XDSC9G30 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:15 pm

IIRC it is within 1,000 feet of a school. Also remember that this does not apply to those with a CHL only OC'ing without a CHL.

The blinking lights is only for the speed limit.
Firearms- for when ”god” and ”police” can't protect you.
XDSC9G30

Postby JediSkipdogg » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:18 pm

Also, it's 1000 ft from the property line, not the building. So if they have a huge field behind the school or a huge parking lot, it could extend very far from the building in those areas.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
JediSkipdogg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Postby Werz » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:32 pm

JediSkipdogg wrote:Also, it's 1000 ft from the property line, not the building. So if they have a huge field behind the school or a huge parking lot, it could extend very far from the building in those areas.

Actually, I think that needs to be clarified. That is the definition of "school zone" under federal law. 18 U.S.C. §921(a)(25). It is not the same as the definition of "school safety zone" under Ohio law. See R.C. 2901.01(C)
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life".
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Postby sodbuster95 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:34 pm

JediSkipdogg wrote:Also, it's 1000 ft from the property line, not the building. So if they have a huge field behind the school or a huge parking lot, it could extend very far from the building in those areas.

That's a good point - dropping a "pin" on a map and drawing a circle with a 1,000' radius could result in problems.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Postby JediSkipdogg » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:40 pm

Werz wrote:

Actually, I think that needs to be clarified. That is the definition of "school zone" under federal law. 18 U.S.C. §921(a)(25). It is not the same as the definition of "school safety zone" under Ohio law. See R.C. 2901.01(C)

I'll make it easier....

Since I already typed it out once here is everything the original poster needs to know about School Zone Carry both State and Federal.

School Zone Carry

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
JediSkipdogg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Postby glocksmith » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:57 pm

I had to walk somewhere the other day, and during the round trip, I passed within under 1000ft of two different schools. I got to thinking, they should have some sort of a marker...not necessarily a big ol sign...but maybe a bright painted line on the sidewalk or something? Sounds like a dumb idea, I know, but it's kind of hard to guesstimate where <1000 ft. from the property line is. In my neighborhood, there are many homes which are right smack next to the schools property line...so does that mean that those folks cannot OC in the own yard?

EDIT: Nevermind...2 (B) (i) of the linked doc refers to private property.
The .45-70 Government is the only Government I need
glocksmith

Postby Nick_c08 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:39 pm

"The state of Ohio utilizes the same language as the federal government for the definition of a school safety zone. The 1,000 foot distance of a school safety zone encompasses all public and private property within 1,000 feet of the property line of the school, not the distance from the buildings. "

Does this make my house a school safety zone since there is a school across the street and 1 block down from me? :shock:
Nick_c08

Postby JediSkipdogg » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:50 pm

Nick_c08 wrote:"The state of Ohio utilizes the same language as the federal government for the definition of a school safety zone. The 1,000 foot distance of a school safety zone encompasses all public and private property within 1,000 feet of the property line of the school, not the distance from the buildings. "

Does this make my house a school safety zone since there is a school across the street and 1 block down from me? :shock:

Private property is exempt. Step in the street and you better have a CHL if you have a firearm on you.

JediSkipdogg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Postby Nick_c08 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:59 pm

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Nick_c08 wrote:"The state of Ohio utilizes the same language as the federal government for the definition of a school safety zone. The 1,000 foot distance of a school safety zone encompasses all public and private property within 1,000 feet of the property line of the school, not the distance from the buildings. "

Private property is exempt. Step in the street and you better have a CHL if you have a firearm on you.

I have my CHL, I didn't read that whole thing but the part that says "encompasses all public and private property within 1,000 feet" caught my attention
Nick_c08

Postby JediSkipdogg » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Nick_c08 wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:

I have my CHL, I didn't read that whole thing but the part that says "encompasses all public and private property within 1,000 feet" caught my attention

I will work on rewording part of that. Yes, it's the same meaning however another exception is...

c) The person is in the school safety zone in accordance with 18 U.S.C. 922(q)(2)(B).

JediSkipdogg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Postby Cruiser » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:56 pm

JediSkipdogg wrote:

Also you are OK if you are legally "transporting" any legal firearm.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Postby SMMAssociates » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:58 am

About the only thing hiding in there for licensees is that OH doesn't recognize any out-of-state reciprocity carry.

IOW, with an OH CHL, you can OC or CC off the school property but inside the 1000', but if you're carrying, for example, an FL license instead, you're toast....

True "transport" (empty, locked in the trunk, etc.) is also an exemption - with or without any license, presuming, of course, that you can legally own the gun at all.

The intent of the law appears to be keeping armed gang-bangers and drug dealers from congregating near a school. Seems to work really well, doesn't it :( ....

NONE of this permits carrying, or even having the gun with you, whether "transport" or carrying (or in the glovebox) inside the school property line, or at school functions (yet another area to argue about), except for a very limited (and also somewhat fuzzy) provision to allow picking up and dropping off your kids. (And that seems to require that you stay in the vehicle.)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
SMMAssociates

Postby Werz » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:11 am

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Werz wrote:

I'll make it easier....

Since I already typed it out once here is everything the original poster needs to know about School Zone Carry both State and Federal.

School Zone Carry

I hate to nitpick, but I think people need the most accurate information available.

That is not a true statement. I cited R.C. 2901.01(C) above, but maybe I should quote the contents of that division:

R.C. 2901.01(
C) As used in Title XXIX of the Revised Code:

(1) “School safety zone” consists of a school, school building, school premises, school activity, and school bus.

(2) “School,” “school building,” and “school premises” have the same meanings as in section 2925.01 of the Revised Code.

(3) “School activity” means any activity held under the auspices of a board of education of a city, local, exempted village, joint vocational, or cooperative education school district; a governing authority of a community school established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code; a governing board of an educational service center, or the governing body of a school for which the state board of education prescribes minimum standards under section 3301.07 of the Revised Code.

(4) “School bus” has the same meaning as in section 4511.01 of the Revised Code.

And here are the referenced definitions under the drug offenses chapter:

R.C. 2925.01
(Q) “School” means any school operated by a board of education, any community school established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code, or any nonpublic school for which the state board of education prescribes minimum standards under section 3301.07 of the Revised Code, whether or not any instruction, extracurricular activities, or training provided by the school is being conducted at the time a criminal offense is committed.
(R) “School premises” means either of the following:

(1) The parcel of real property on which any school is situated, whether or not any instruction, extracurricular activities, or training provided by the school is being conducted on the premises at the time a criminal offense is committed;

(2) Any other parcel of real property that is owned or leased by a board of education of a school, the governing authority of a community school established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code, or the governing body of a nonpublic school for which the state board of education prescribes minimum standards under section 3301.07 of the Revised Code and on which some of the instruction, extracurricular activities, or training of the school is conducted, whether or not any instruction, extracurricular activities, or training provided by the school is being conducted on the parcel of real property at the time a criminal offense is committed.

(S) “School building” means any building in which any of the instruction, extracurricular activities, or training provided by a school is conducted, whether or not any instruction, extracurricular activities, or training provided by the school is being conducted in the school building at the time a criminal offense is committed.

No reference to 1,000 feet anywhere in those definitions. The only reference that you may find to 1,000 feet is in the definition of "vicinity of a school" which is applied as an enhancement to drug offenses. See R.C. 2925.01(P). That provision has no effect on firearm offenses.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life".
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Postby TJW815 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:53 am

So, say you are mowing your grass, you have your weapon on your waist. You cross the sidewalk to mow the "easement." That in and of itself is a felony? (((this us assuming you live within 1k feet of school property)))

I'm really really considering a new state of residence!
TJW815

Next

Return to Ohio Concealed Carry Discussion