renewal time

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

renewal time

Postby tnw50cal » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:06 pm

2 Questions

1-It's coming up on time to renew my CHL,how many months(or days) can I renew before it expires?

2-I got my CHL in the ajoining county because at the time the one I live in was just BAD at issueing them(cuyahoga). Now they have improved. Can I get my CHL renewed in a different county than where it was issued?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by tnw50cal on Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tnw50cal
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:17 pm

Re: renewal time

Postby cashman966 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:46 pm

tnw50cal wrote:2 Questions

1-It's coming up on time to renew my CHL,how many months(or days) can I renew before it expires?

2-I got my CHL in the ajoining county because at the time the one I live in was just BAD at issueing them(cuyahoga). Now they have improved. Can I get my CHL renewed in a different county than where it was issued?

Thanks in advance.


90 days before expiration or any time after. Your license remains valid for 30 days after its expiration date.

Makes no difference where you obtained your CHL, you may renew in your home county or any contiguous one just like the initial application. Though there have been a report or two that some sheriffs need convincing of that fact.

More Here

http://ohioccw.org/200805203979/frequen ... html#renew
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
User avatar
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 3188
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 9:52 pm
Location: Delaware, Ohio

Re: renewal time

Postby BobK » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:53 pm

No earlier than 90 days before expiration.
No need to renew in the county where the original was issued. Your home county or any adjacent county is acceptable.


R.C. 2923.125 (F)(1) A licensee who wishes to renew a license to carry a concealed handgun issued under this section shall do so not earlier than ninety days before the expiration date of the license or at any time after the expiration date of the license by filing with the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or with the sheriff of an adjacent county an application for renewal of the license obtained pursuant to division (D) of this section,
NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Assoc Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition member, OFCC Patron Member, JFPO member.

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Prepare for civil breakdown.
User avatar
BobK
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 14511
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:26 pm
Location: Houston TX (formerly Franklin County)

Re: renewal time

Postby Tourist » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:04 pm

cashman966 wrote:
tnw50cal wrote:2 Questions

1-It's coming up on time to renew my CHL,how many months(or days) can I renew before it expires?

2-I got my CHL in the ajoining county because at the time the one I live in was just BAD at issueing them(cuyahoga). Now they have improved. Can I get my CHL renewed in a different county than where it was issued?

Thanks in advance.


90 days before expiration or any time after. Your license remains valid for 30 days after its expiration date.

Makes no difference where you obtained your CHL, you may renew in your home county or any contiguous one just like the initial application. Though there have been a report or two that some sheriffs need convincing of that fact.

More Here

http://ohioccw.org/200805203979/frequen ... html#renew


Cashman966,

Please check me, but I think the license expires on the date indicated on the license. The 30 day period after expiration used to be the only time you could use the license to meet the requirements for renewal after expiration. I think that has changed and now any license no matter how long ago it expired will do for the first renewal.
User avatar
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 2636
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 9:10 pm
Location: Chesterland

Re: renewal time

Postby JediSkipdogg » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:10 pm

Tourist wrote:
cashman966 wrote:
tnw50cal wrote:2 Questions

1-It's coming up on time to renew my CHL,how many months(or days) can I renew before it expires?

2-I got my CHL in the ajoining county because at the time the one I live in was just BAD at issueing them(cuyahoga). Now they have improved. Can I get my CHL renewed in a different county than where it was issued?

Thanks in advance.


90 days before expiration or any time after. Your license remains valid for 30 days after its expiration date.

Makes no difference where you obtained your CHL, you may renew in your home county or any contiguous one just like the initial application. Though there have been a report or two that some sheriffs need convincing of that fact.

More Here

http://ohioccw.org/200805203979/frequen ... html#renew


Cashman966,

Please check me, but I think the license expires on the date indicated on the license. The 30 day period after expiration used to be the only time you could use the license to meet the requirements for renewal after expiration. I think that has changed and now any license no matter how long ago it expired will do for the first renewal.


Here's the thirty day part...

A) A license to carry a concealed handgun that is issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code on or after March 14, 2007, shall expire five years after the date of issuance, and a license that is so issued prior to March 14, 2007, shall expire four years after the date of issuance. A licensee who has been issued a license under that section shall be granted a grace period of thirty days after the licensee’s license expires during which the licensee’s license remains valid.

You can renew ANYTIME after the license expires and use it for a renewal. There is no time frame on the renewal aspect. However, for some dumb reason (I disagree with "grace periods") the license is still valid as a CHL for 30 days after the expiration date printed on it. Now, IMO, few cops know that, and one may get in a jam for it. Your license plates, operators license, etc all expire on the day printed on them, the CHL is the only government item that I can think of that doesn't. Heck, a passport technically expires 6 months before the date printed in it. :roll:
Last edited by JediSkipdogg on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
User avatar
JediSkipdogg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 7970
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:03 pm
Location: Batavia

Re: renewal time

Postby cashman966 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:11 pm

Tourist wrote:
cashman966 wrote:
tnw50cal wrote:2 Questions

1-It's coming up on time to renew my CHL,how many months(or days) can I renew before it expires?

2-I got my CHL in the ajoining county because at the time the one I live in was just BAD at issueing them(cuyahoga). Now they have improved. Can I get my CHL renewed in a different county than where it was issued?

Thanks in advance.


90 days before expiration or any time after. Your license remains valid for 30 days after its expiration date.

Makes no difference where you obtained your CHL, you may renew in your home county or any contiguous one just like the initial application. Though there have been a report or two that some sheriffs need convincing of that fact.

More Here

http://ohioccw.org/200805203979/frequen ... html#renew


Cashman966,

Please check me, but I think the license expires on the date indicated on the license. The 30 day period after expiration used to be the only time you could use the license to meet the requirements for renewal after expiration. I think that has changed and now any license no matter how long ago it expired will do for the first renewal.


The grace period has always existed, it was not related to renewals per se as in the original law you could not use a CHL as proof of competency.

ETA It might have been included because the way the law was originally written only allowed renewals for 30 days after expiration, at day 31 an applicant would need to repeat the entire CHL course.

I say might because there was no real need to include a "grace period" for the license to remain valid after expiration to allow for renewal with-in 30 days of expiration.


2923.126 Duties of licensed individual.
(A) A license to carry a concealed handgun that is issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code on or after March 14, 2007, shall expire five years after the date of issuance, and a license that is so issued prior to March 14, 2007, shall expire four years after the date of issuance. A licensee who has been issued a license under that section shall be granted a grace period of thirty days after the licensee’s license expires during which the licensee’s license remains valid. Except as provided in divisions (B) and (C) of this section, a licensee who has been issued a license under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code may carry a concealed handgun anywhere in this state if the licensee also carries a valid license and valid identification when the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun. The licensee shall give notice of any change in the licensee’s residence address to the sheriff who issued the license within forty-five days after that change.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
User avatar
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 3188
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 9:52 pm
Location: Delaware, Ohio

Re: renewal time

Postby tnw50cal » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:20 pm

Thank you very much for the answers. Now I have another question. If I renew 2 months before my CHL expires,does that become the new expiration date of the my renewed CHL? In other words do I lose 2 months out of my 2nd five years or is my my new CHL good for 5years and 2 months?
tnw50cal
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:17 pm

Re: renewal time

Postby pleasantguywhopacks » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:22 pm

tnw50cal wrote:Thank you very much for the answers. Now I have another question. If I renew 2 months before my CHL expires,does that become the new expiration date of the my renewed CHL? In other words do I lose 2 months out of my 2nd five years or is my my new CHL good for 5years and 2 months?

You will loose the two months. Hopefully by the third we will do away with renewals all together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
Magazine size limits do not stop a thing
Psalms 35
User avatar
pleasantguywhopacks
 
Posts: 16626
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: Blanchester, OH

Re: renewal time

Postby BobK » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:29 pm

tnw50cal wrote:Thank you very much for the answers. Now I have another question. If I renew 2 months before my CHL expires,does that become the new expiration date of the my renewed CHL? In other words do I lose 2 months out of my 2nd five years or is my my new CHL good for 5years and 2 months?

That is one of the things I like about Texas' system. Your CHL expires on your birthday. When you renew, it expires on your birthday in 5 years, regardless of how early you renew. You can renew up to six months ahead of time.
NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Assoc Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition member, OFCC Patron Member, JFPO member.

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Prepare for civil breakdown.
User avatar
BobK
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 14511
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:26 pm
Location: Houston TX (formerly Franklin County)

Re: renewal time

Postby tnw50cal » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:45 pm

Thank you very much,gentlemen.
tnw50cal
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:17 pm


Return to Ohio Concealed Carry Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests