No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Re: No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

Postby Six Shooter » Sat May 27, 2017 9:25 pm

steves 50de wrote:What is funny is BATF would more than likely not approve a SBS stamp for this so an Ohio resident could cover his butt.



The only way it becomes a SBS, is if you attach a shoulder stock.

Do a Form 1, get the Tax Stamp.... and it becomes an NFA item.
Six Shooter
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere in the abyss

Re: No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

Postby djthomas » Sat May 27, 2017 9:28 pm

steves 50de wrote:What is funny is BATF would more than likely not approve a SBS stamp for this so an Ohio resident could cover his butt.

Nor should they, one it's not an SBS and two it's not in the transfer register so there is no subsequent transfer to approve. Pay the $50 fee to the county sheriff or local police chief and get an Ohio license to possess dangerous ordnance.
Never ask if you can carry at a non-posted place, but always ask why you cannot at one that is!
Just because they offer call ahead seating doesn't mean you call ahead for carry permission.
User avatar
djthomas
 
Posts: 5725
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:09 am
Location: Medina County

Re: No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

Postby steves 50de » Sun May 28, 2017 3:13 pm

djthomas wrote:
steves 50de wrote:What is funny is BATF would more than likely not approve a SBS stamp for this so an Ohio resident could cover his butt.

Nor should they, one it's not an SBS and two it's not in the transfer register so there is no subsequent transfer to approve. Pay the $50 fee to the county sheriff or local police chief and get an Ohio license to possess dangerous ordnance.

Do they have to issue or may issue. :?:
steves 50de
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 2930
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:26 pm
Location: n.e. ohio

Re: No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

Postby Six Shooter » Sun May 28, 2017 5:12 pm

djthomas wrote: it's not an SBS and it's not in the transfer register so there is no subsequent transfer to approve.


Yep.

djthomas wrote: Pay the $50 fee to the county sheriff or local police chief and get an Ohio license to possess dangerous ordnance.



Nope.
Six Shooter
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere in the abyss

Re: No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

Postby Brian D. » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:42 am

JustaShooter wrote:
So, is the shockwave "designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand"?


Think that through a minute, everybody. It's a pump action...firearm. And, the "pump handle" is pretty far forward of the trigger. Sure you could hold and fire it with one hand. But, what comes next? Ejection/Extraction of the empty and chambering the next round. Gonna be pretty tough to do that with a single hand.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 14357
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

Postby djthomas » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:27 am

steves 50de wrote:
djthomas wrote:
steves 50de wrote:What is funny is BATF would more than likely not approve a SBS stamp for this so an Ohio resident could cover his butt.

Nor should they, one it's not an SBS and two it's not in the transfer register so there is no subsequent transfer to approve. Pay the $50 fee to the county sheriff or local police chief and get an Ohio license to possess dangerous ordnance.

Do they have to issue or may issue. :?:

Well, it's funny. According to ORC 2923.18 the license or temporary permit shall be issued, however if you're not a scientist, engineer, or instructor using said dangerous ordnance in the course of bona fide research or instruction, then they have discretion to issue the permit/license if they find that you are a responsible person and have an "other proper purpose" for owning it. That puts it in the may issue category.

At one point I looked into getting a license to own large cap magazines. The chief of police and sheriff both said they wouldn't have a problem with it but since a) they'd never heard of Ohio's 30 round mag limit and b) they'd never been asked to issue a license for anything other than explosives, they needed to do some research to figure out how to do it. For example, the mags don't have serial numbers but the guns (which were not dangerous ordnance until equipped with a large cap magazine) do. Is the DO the gun by itself, the gun plus the mag, or just the mag? Should they record the serial number of the guns or just list magazine and caliber and leave the guns out of it? Nobody really seemed to know and then the law changed so it became a moot point.
Never ask if you can carry at a non-posted place, but always ask why you cannot at one that is!
Just because they offer call ahead seating doesn't mean you call ahead for carry permission.
User avatar
djthomas
 
Posts: 5725
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:09 am
Location: Medina County

Re: No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

Postby Six Shooter » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:46 am

Brian D. wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:Think that through a minute, everybody. It's a pump action...firearm. And, the "pump handle" is pretty far forward of the trigger. Sure you could hold and fire it with one hand. But, what comes next? Ejection/Extraction of the empty and chambering the next round. Gonna be pretty tough to do that with a single hand.



Um....

Been there, and done that ?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxECBq-f68s
Six Shooter
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere in the abyss

Re: No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

Postby FormerNavy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:42 am

Even if it were legal in Ohio, I'd be concerned about the ATF changing their opinion.... not that that's ever happened before. :roll:
User avatar
FormerNavy
 
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:19 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

Postby Bruenor » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:18 pm

Palmetto site says no Ohio or Texas

http://palmettostatearmory.com/mossberg ... 50659.html

Not For Sale for Residents of Texas or Ohio
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine
User avatar
Bruenor
 
Posts: 5823
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:03 pm
Location: Geneva, OH

Re: No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

Postby FormerNavy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:42 pm

Bruenor wrote:Palmetto site says no Ohio or Texas

http://palmettostatearmory.com/mossberg ... 50659.html

Not For Sale for Residents of Texas or Ohio



I don't remember the rules on posting links to other gun rights forums, so I will just say that another Ohio 2A site had an analysis by a lawyer, who concluded it was illegal to possess in Ohio (dangerous ordnance permit not withstanding).
User avatar
FormerNavy
 
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:19 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

Postby Brian D. » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:45 pm

FormerNavy wrote:

I don't remember the rules on posting links to other gun rights forums, so I will just say that another Ohio 2A site had an analysis by a lawyer, who concluded it was illegal to possess in Ohio (dangerous ordnance permit not withstanding).


It was Buckeye Firearms Association.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 14357
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

Postby FormerNavy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:49 pm

Brian D. wrote:
FormerNavy wrote:

I don't remember the rules on posting links to other gun rights forums, so I will just say that another Ohio 2A site had an analysis by a lawyer, who concluded it was illegal to possess in Ohio (dangerous ordnance permit not withstanding).


It was Buckeye Firearms Association.


Yes I know, just couldn't remember the form rules. :)
User avatar
FormerNavy
 
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:19 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

Postby Six Shooter » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:52 am

FormerNavy wrote: I will just say that another Ohio 2A site had an analysis by a lawyer, who concluded it was illegal to possess in Ohio (dangerous ordnance permit not withstanding).


He has revised his "opinion" for the 3rd time ??

I'm not relying on him.


But, sign up for firearms instruction from their website.

Nope.
Six Shooter
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere in the abyss

Re: No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

Postby JimE » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:10 pm

It seems Oregon is now having issues.
http://www.oregonfirearms.org/state-pol ... -transfers
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:50 pm
Location: Ashland,OH

Re: No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

Postby Six Shooter » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:45 am

JimE wrote:It seems Oregon is now having issues.
http://www.oregonfirearms.org/state-pol ... -transfers


"As you may know, many of these guns have already been transferred with OSP approval."

Funny.

Who got involved and caused the second thoughts ? The article doesn't say.
Six Shooter
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere in the abyss

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms & Gear

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests