JC Higgins Model 29 - Info?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

JC Higgins Model 29 - Info?

Postby Scorpion » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:03 pm

My dad has an old JC Higgins Model 29 semi-auto rifle.

I think that these were made by Sears sometime in the mid-50's. Does anyone have any additional information on when this may have been manufactured? Is there a way to tell with the serial number?

Any info would be appriciated.

Thanks!

Edit:
I don't think that there is a serial number (before they were required?) but there is a number (model number?) 583.2900.
Scorpion

Re: JC Higgins Model 29 - Info?

Postby pirateguy191 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:12 pm

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
pirateguy191
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Postby Cruiser » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:35 pm

Good info. I picked up a pristeen Mod. 31 in Oct.
I think that these were made by Sears sometime in the mid-50's.

They were made for Sears, not by Sears. Mine was manf. 1953 to 1962.
Last edited by Cruiser on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Postby Scorpion » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:38 pm

Cruiser wrote:Good info. I picked up a pristeen Mod. 31 in Oct.
I think that these were made by Sears sometime in the mid-50's.

They were made for Sears, not by Sears. Mine was manf. 1953 to 1962.

You are right... For Sears, not by Sears. Mis-typed that.
Scorpion

Postby Sevens » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:13 am

My brother has one that was my Grandfather's. I've put many thousands of rounds through that rifle, but I haven't seen it in 20+ years. As I recall, it was a terrific shooter and nicely accurate but it sure got funky and gunky in the guts and you needed to pull the works out to clean it up enough to make it run reliably.

Also, the stock would loosen itself on it's own and you had to remove the butt plate and use a very long screwdriver to tighten the screw.

Sorry I don't have any info on dates for you. Not a valuable rifle, but a good one.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Postby Scorpion » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:12 pm

My dad gave me this rifle for Christmas. I am out of town and the rifle is at home so I can't try; but the original scope was missing so I picked up a basic Tasco scope at Gander Mountain.

Any reason this scope would not work? The scope said it was designed for .22 rifles, but I am not too familiar with rifle scopes.

Thanks!
Scorpion

Postby Cruiser » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Scorpion wrote:My dad gave me this rifle for Christmas. I am out of town and the rifle is at home so I can't try; but the original scope was missing so I picked up a basic Tasco scope at Gander Mountain.

Any reason this scope would not work? The scope said it was designed for .22 rifles, but I am not too familiar with rifle scopes.

Thanks!

Scope should work. The problem with some of the early .22's is the width of the dovetail is smaller then those manufactured today. I have yet to find a .22 scope ring that will close up on the dovetail on my Model 31?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Postby Scorpion » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:06 pm

Cruiser wrote:
Scorpion wrote:My dad gave me this rifle for Christmas. I am out of town and the rifle is at home so I can't try; but the original scope was missing so I picked up a basic Tasco scope at Gander Mountain.

Thanks!

Scope should work. The problem with some of the early .22's is the width of the dovetail is smaller then those manufactured today. I have yet to find a .22 scope ring that will close up on the dovetail on my Model 31?

Hmmm... The scope came with the rings, so I guess that we'll see if they work alright or not.
Scorpion

Postby ScottyPotty » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:16 pm

Cruiser wrote:

Thanks!

This has been my my issue too. I never did find anything, and just gave up putting a scope one it. I think I picked mine up about 20 years ago, and I shot the heck out of it. It does tend to get gummed up and you have to take the thing apart to clean it up. Man, its been years since Ive shot that rifle.
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams
ScottyPotty

Postby Scorpion » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:47 am

ScottyPotty wrote:
Cruiser wrote:

Thanks!

This has been my my issue too. I never did find anything, and just gave up putting a scope one it. I think I picked mine up about 20 years ago, and I shot the heck out of it. It does tend to get gummed up and you have to take the thing apart to clean it up. Man, its been years since Ive shot that rifle.

Do you know the size of the receiver? The scope I got says it fits a 3/8" receiver. Again, I am out of town and I don't have the rifle here, but that seems a little small for what I remember the receiver on the rifle.
Scorpion

Postby d906670 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:02 am

Cruiser wrote:Scope should work. The problem with some of the early .22's is the width of the dovetail is smaller then those manufactured today. I have yet to find a .22 scope ring that will close up on the dovetail on my Model 31?

If I remember right we used a mount for a CZ and it worked on it , it was a metric base but forget the size.
NRA Life 1988
OFCC member
Ohio rifle and pistol association life member
USPSA/IPSC member
לעולם לא אשכח
d906670

Postby Scorpion » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:35 pm

The scope I got for $20 from Gander Mountain actually works great!

I am looking forward to getting it to the range. I posted some pictures in the "Pictures" thread.
Scorpion

Postby Cruiser » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:38 pm

Scorpion wrote:The scope I got for $20 from Gander Mountain actually works great!

I am looking forward to getting it to the range. I posted some pictures in the "Pictures" thread.

But, where did you get the scope rings?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Postby Scorpion » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:46 pm

Cruiser wrote:
Scorpion wrote:The scope I got for $20 from Gander Mountain actually works great!

They were the rings that came with the scope. It says that it will fit a 3/8" reciever, but according to all of my research, the receiver is not a standard 3/8". Not sure what to say I guess.
Scorpion

Postby Scorpion » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:37 pm

Scorpion wrote:
Cruiser wrote:

They were the rings that came with the scope. It says that it will fit a 3/8" reciever, but according to all of my research, the receiver is not a standard 3/8". Not sure what to say I guess.

If you want to try the same scope that I got for your model 31, it is a Tasco 3-7x scope. Scope and rings in one package model number - RF37X20D. I got it at Gander Mountain (in Portage/Kalamazoo, MI) for $19.99. Supposedly, the model 31 is identical to the 29 except that yours has attachments for a sling.
Scorpion

Next

Return to Firearms & Gear