Fixed blade knife

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Fixed blade knife

Postby woody » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:30 pm

Question - is there a thorough list of Ohio knife laws?

I am not looking to try and conceal a 7" fixed blade on my person, but rather is it ok to have it in an emergency bag in the back of my truck. I see fixed blade hunting knives carried frequently. Any good sites for knife information.
woody

Re: Fixed blade knife

Postby sodbuster95 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:59 pm

There isn't (that I've ever found) a good site that lists as comprehensively the various laws regarding knives as you'll find with firearms. This is particularly true in Ohio where each jurisdiction may have their own laws (no preemption for knives).

However, I generally use this one:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf#page=14

To make Scavok happy, I've created the link to go directly to Ohio. 8)
Last edited by sodbuster95 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Postby pleasantguywhopacks » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:05 pm

woody wrote:Question - is there a thorough list of Ohio knife laws?

I am not looking to try and conceal a 7" fixed blade on my person, but rather is it ok to have it in an emergency bag in the back of my truck. I see fixed blade hunting knives carried frequently. Any good sites for knife information.

Sound like you putting together a survival kit right? Tool and such? A knife is a tool.

Do a Youtube search on U.S.K. An interesting concept and certainly it contains tools. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
Magazine size limits do not stop a thing
Psalms 35
pleasantguywhopacks

Postby rottman43055 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:28 pm

woody wrote:Question - is there a thorough list of Ohio knife laws?

I'm wearing my 7" fixed blade knife as I type and a CS Recon1 is in my pocket :lol:

I'm with sodbuster95 as not found to many good links on knife laws, but in my city, the laws pretty much mirror the state laws which I think are pretty loose from what I have found.

Cops can call anything a criminal tool, so it sorta depends on why a cop would be in your emergeny bag and what you are doing at the time that gets him looking into your bag. JMO.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
rottman43055

Postby woody » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:30 pm

Thanks for all of the advice.
woody

Postby Woodsman » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:05 pm

Woody, In your pack its legal. If you carry it on your person, Its illegal in ohio. Anything over 3 inches by law in ohio is illegal to carry, on your person.
Woodsman

Postby pleasantguywhopacks » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:17 pm

Woodsman wrote:Woody, In your pack its legal. If you carry it on your person, Its illegal in ohio. Anything over 3 inches by law in ohio is illegal to carry, on your person.

I missed that in the ORC, please help me out and post that section. :roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
Magazine size limits do not stop a thing
Psalms 35
pleasantguywhopacks

Postby Cruiser » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:45 pm

Show me the law that says you cannot carry a knife over 3 inches in Ohio on your person.
Examples would be the commonly carried lockblade knife in a belt sheath. Or a fixed blade hunting knife in a belt sheath. Both of which are commonly carred daily in rural Ohio.
Woodsman wrote:Woody, In your pack its legal. If you carry it on your person, Its illegal in ohio. Anything over 3 inches by law in ohio is illegal to carry, on your person.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Postby sodbuster95 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:24 pm

Woodsman - You may want to peruse the PDF I linked to earlier. For your browsing convenience, it lists statutory references to both the O.R.C. as well as various city ordinances. I believe you'll find that your all-encompassing statement is misplaced.

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Postby woody » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:36 am

As mentioned earlier, I am wanting to put together a basic bug out bag. I don't want to take up the entire bed of my truck, just a some essentials. Also, interested in suggestions on survival training. Maybe either a book or video or real life.
woody

Postby sodbuster95 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:13 am

woody wrote:As mentioned earlier, I am wanting to put together a basic bug out bag. I don't want to take up the entire bed of my truck, just a some essentials. Also, interested in suggestions on survival training. Maybe either a book or video or real life.

You could join the Army and volunteer for SERE school (Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape). Hard core training right there.

YogiDave will be happy to sign you up! 8) :lol:

Seriously, though, I've seen some lists on here that people carry with them that are really long. IMHO, the basics of what you need for survival are shelter, water and food, in that order. Beyond that, you need the tools to acquire those things. A very spartan survival kit could theoretically consist of nothing more than a very good knife (with which to build a shelter) with a handle that can store iodine (to sterilize, but not cleanse, water) and flint (to start a fire). A knife (being a tool much more than a weapon) can be immensely useful.

When I lived in Colorado, I would go 4-wheeling in the mountains quite frequently by myself. In the back of my Jeep, I had a box with 6 bottles of water, 6 MRE's, a poncho and poncho liner, compass and map (I'd probably toss in a portable GPS now, but still keep the map and compass), signaling mirror, sterno cans and waterproof matches, hunting knife (with the items previously described) and spare ammo (there's mean critters in those mountains), portable CB radio and spare batteries, an Army e-tool, a change of warm clothes and a rucksack to carry it all in. It only weighed about 30 pounds and I figured that would get me through a week or so of being stranded before I was really in trouble.

sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Postby woody » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:30 am

Thanks Sodbuster95

I'll pass on signing up with the Army. :lol:

Do you normally buy that gear on-line or at a local surplus store? If on-line can you recommend a site. I want to set-up a home and mobile stash of gear.
woody

Postby sodbuster95 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:55 pm

woody wrote:Thanks Sodbuster95

I'll pass on signing up with the Army. :lol:

Do you normally buy that gear on-line or at a local surplus store? If on-line can you recommend a site. I want to set-up a home and mobile stash of gear.

Well, with the exception of the Sterno, the Army issued me everything I needed. I'd probably get it online if I had to just because I hate going to actual stores. :wink:

sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Postby dsk » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:37 pm

The knife I never use, but always have in the bag, the original K-Bar. Big ol' tool useful for about anything. I found the best deal on line.
Pay your dues.
dsk
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Postby HKJ » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:01 pm

Check out anything from Tony Nestor and ancient pathways for survivial etc. If you want a decent survival knife that doesn't scream rambo, check out the swedish mora. They are also not going to break the bank. Another sturdy knife that is cheap is the glock knife.
John McCreery
http://www.Ohioppt.com
Suarez International Staff Instructor
HKJ

Next

Return to Firearms & Gear